- 1What is AERC?
The Attachments Energy Rating Council (AERC) is an independent, public interest, non-profit organization whose mission is to rate, label and certify the energy performance of window attachment products (such as blinds, shades, shutters, and storm windows). Partially funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), AERC provides accurate and credible information about the energy performance of window attachments, which helps homeowners and building professionals make informed decisions when buying window attachment products.
- 2What are window attachments?
Window attachments are products such as secondary windows, shades, blinds, storm windows, solar screens and awnings that can be installed either inside or outside a window on a building or home. Window attachments can serve a variety of purposes, such as complementing the interior design of a space; enhancing views and natural light; reducing draftiness; reducing glare and heat from the sun; providing additional security; and increasing privacy. Most importantly, products with the AERC Energy Improvement Certificate may improve the energy performance and comfort of your building.
- 3Why should I look for the AERC Certificate?
Products with an AERC Certificate have ratings that document improvement in energy performance: The amount of efficiency added by a given attachment and how much better a window will perform with the product than without it. Improving energy performance will reduce both cooling loads and heating requirements, enhancing occupant comfort and lowering energy use. Ratings may be used to compare and select energy-efficient window attachments. Products designed for cooling or heating applications may show “Not applicable for energy savings” in lieu of a rating, indicating the product is not recommended for energy improvement in that climate.
- 4How do window attachments save energy?
Window attachments help regulate the amount of heat and sunlight that enters or exits a building or home, which can thereby reduce the need for heating when it’s cool outside and reduce the need for air conditioning when the weather is warmer. This type of enhanced energy performance can help save energy.
- 5What benefits will energy performance provide?
High performing window attachments can help commercial spaces use less energy for heating and/or cooling while keeping the building comfortable. They do this by allowing sunlight into the interior of a space to warm it or by blocking sunlight in order to keep things cooler.
- 6Where can I find products with the AERC Certificate?
Certified window attachments can be sourced from a range of commercial building product suppliers. Use the AERC Certified Products commercial search tool to find window attachment products that fit your project specifications.
- 7Where can I go for more information about energy-efficient window attachments?
You can learn more by visiting:
- The U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE): The mission of EERE is to create and sustain American leadership in the transition to a global clean energy economy. Its vision is a strong and prosperous America powered by clean, affordable and secure energy (http://energy.gov/eere/office-energy-efficiency-renewable-energy).
- The Building Technology Office (BTO) of the U.S. Department of Energy: The BTO leads a vast network of research and industry partners to continually develop innovative, cost-effective energy saving solutions for better products, better new homes better ways to improve older homes and better buildings in which we work, shop and lead our everyday lives (http://energy.gov/eere/buildings/building-technologies-office).